Share | 

Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LordStoneRaven
The Black Pope
The Black Pope

PostSubject: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   Wed 28 Jan 2009, 1:34 pm

The man remembered for mystery, darkness, macabre acts and his poetry and short stories turns 200 this year. And in his adopted city, he will be celebrated with festivals, tours, wine tastings, art exhibitions and theatrical performances.

Nevermore 2009 is the bicentennial birthday celebration for one of Baltimore's most famous residents - Edgar Allan Poe.

The city still remembers Poe in many ways, ranging from its football mascot - the raven, one of Poe's most famous characters - to the mysterious and unknown Poe Toaster, who has, for nearly 60 years on the anniversary of Poe's death, left three roses and a bottle of cognac on Poe's grave at Westminster Hall in Baltimore.

Poe's connection to the city began at age 18, when he moved to the city, and ended with his mysterious death there at age 40. He sought refuge in the city after feuding with his foster father, John Allan; met his cousin and future wife, Virginia Eliza Clemm, in the Poe House, now a museum; and he died and was buried at Westminster Hall after being found incoherent and wandering Baltimore's streets in 1849.

The birthday celebration will take place throughout the year. Some of the events, which can be found at www.nevermore2009.com include:

* Bicentennial birthday celebrations in January complete with actor tributes, theatrical performances of Poe's chilling tale of revenge, musical tributes and toasts at Westminster Hall.

* Performances of the "Fall of the House of Usher," inspired by Poe, will be held in February and June. Other Poe performances include "Berenice" and "POE in Person" in September.

* From July to September the Greater Baltimore History Alliance Scavenger Hunt explores Poe's Baltimore history through exhibits, displays and programs at more than 7 historical attractions.

* Poe's funeral service, a candlelight vigil at the Poe monument and viewing of the body on the anniversary of his death in October.

Celebrate Edgar Allan Poe's 200th birthday this year. Visit www.nevermore2009.com to learn more about Baltimore's birthday plans, events and locations.

Mod - VIP

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   Wed 11 Feb 2009, 4:39 pm

Poe's 200th was also my 21st; I've the same birthday of January 19th.
Back to top Go down
tennesseeblondie
Wandering Soul
Wandering Soul

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   Fri 03 Apr 2009, 8:16 pm

I hold with in my hand grains of golden sand. Anybody know that Poe poem? I can only remember a few lines.
Back to top Go down
LordStoneRaven
The Black Pope
The Black Pope

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   Sat 04 Apr 2009, 12:41 am

A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow:
You are not wrong who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand—
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep—while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Wandering Soul

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   Mon 06 Apr 2009, 11:26 pm

U brought it all back for me! Brilliant of U . Being a pisces my fav. line is I Stand Amid The Roar Of A Surf -Tormented Shore flower
Back to top Go down
horrorbaby
Dark Patriarch
Dark Patriarch

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   Sat 18 Jul 2009, 9:52 pm

I love Edgar Allen Poe I read his book when I was like 8 years old. I think he is such an awesome author..... I will always read his works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday   

Back to top Go down

Edgar Allan Poe's 200th Birthday

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Rules-Introductions & Announcements ::   :: Horror Connection-
Free phpbb forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum